Monday, May 19, 2008

Flea Markets and Nightmares

Hello! Memaw and I took Romeo to the Flea Market this weekend. I bought a new Fenton milk glass peice for my little bitty collection and Memaw bought a new flag for her yard. Romeo did really well with the other dogs and people. Lots of folks wanted to love on him and he was eager to let them. He is such a flirt. He had a few moments of anxiety, I think, when we are around alot of activity. I gave my Mom the leash, stayed in sight of him to make my purchase. He didn't care for that and barked until I made it back to him. He continued to bark even after I got back as if to say, "Don't do that again!" He settled down when I asked him to stop and rewarded him with some good smooching and loving. He really likes Memaw and keeps tabs on her if she walks away from us. As I said, he did great with the other dogs. There was one, however, that brought out the fact that he is submissive by choice. Mom and I turned a corner and we saw a dog that took a very defensive stance at seeing Romeo. No other dog had behaved this way. He lowered his head in a challenge and stared at Romeo. Romeo puffed out his chest, pulled his head up proud and confidently walked in front of Mom and I, got close to our legs and stopped. He would not let us pass. It wasn't until we reassured him that it was okay to pass that he allowed us to continue. We praised him for being such a good boy. On Saturday night, he fell asleep on the love seat when Michael and I went to bed. I was half asleep and thought I heard him growl... naturally, I thought it was Michael snoring. Haha. Well, I heard it again only it was more menacing with some snarling. Romeo was asleep but growling and then he barked waking himself up. He whined a little bit so I went over, reassured him that he was okay. He followed me back to the bedroom, crawled into his bed and I tucked him back to sleep. Oh! And he hugs. He jumped into bed with me Sunday morning, got up close and put a paw on my shoulder as I was on my side. So, I put an arm around him and announced to Michael that we were hugging. I think I might have heard a chuckle and a "Oh brother." I hate leaving him during the day so we spent thirty minutes on the couch snuggling before I had to get dressed. I am thinking he is a Momma's Boy and gosh am I in love.

No comments: